Forget iPhones, Galaxies, Redmis, and all that. Meet the most popular phone of the season: the Xiaomi Poco M3. Everyone is talking about this model from the Xiaomi-backed brand, and with good reason. It has everything you need to become a best-seller: good looks, a nice screen, excellent battery life, stereo speakers, and a good camera setup. And all of these treats are inexpensively priced!
Xiaomi Poco M3 is now an independent brand from Xiaomi, although Xiaomi still makes everything that Poco designs. Even down to the software that Poco phones run or the chargers they use, it all comes from Xiaomi, so the independence of the two brands is not so obvious, at least for now.
But Xiaomi or not, the Xiaomi Poco M3 has the typical economic performance that we have seen in many Xiaomi phones and Poco before. The first thing you’ll notice about the new M3 is the not-so-typical look, and we appreciate the leather-like grip plastic and unique elements like the large POCO-branded glass on the back.
We would have expected the specs to wane a bit at this price point, but the Poco M3 seems to tick all the boxes. It has a sizeable 1080p display with a small notch, a good chipset, all kinds of connectivity, stereo speakers, and an impressive battery with 6,000 mAh capacity and fast charging. Oh, and the fast charger is included in the box.
The triple camera on the back is probably the only feature that had an impact in keeping the price so low: Although it is headed by a high-resolution 48MP sensor, it omits an ultra-wide camera and instead offers macro and depth shooters. . There’s no 4K video either, just 1080p. On the other hand, look at the price of the phone! We’d say this setup is still overqualified for the money it would pay.
Finally, the Poco M3 runs on Android 10 with MIUI 12 for Poco. There aren’t many differences to the standard MIUI12, and the phone is expected to get the usual MIUI update treatment for years to come.
Xiaomi Poco M3 specs at a glance:
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM6115 Snapdragon 662 (11 nm): Octa-core (4×2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver); Adreno 610.
- OS/Software: Android 10, MIUI 12.
- Display: 6.53″ IPS LCD, 400 nits (typ), 1080x2340px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
- Body: 162.3×77.3×9.6mm, 198g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass 3), plastic back, plastic frame.
- Memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM; UFS 2.1 – 64GB 4GB RAM, UFS 2.2 – 128GB 4GB RAM; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.8, 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF; Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.8, 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF; Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.8, 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF.
- Front camera: 8 MP, f/2.1, (wide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 6000mAh; Fast charging 18W, Reverse charging.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); FM radio; Infrared port; stereo speakers; 3.5mm jack.